Sunday, June 29

Oh, Kipepeo

T-Man suggested that we check out Kipepeo--a private beach on the South coast of Dar es Salaam. I can't even describe how beautiful Kipepeo--which means butterfly in Swahili--is. After a lugging around my backpack in the Dar heat all day, all I wanted to do was jump in the turquoise Indian Ocean. We checked in and went over to Bungalow No. 21 and did the usual inspection. Let's just say it passed with flying colors. The bungalow--thatched roof and all--had a Swiss Family Robinson feel to it and the balcony with a hammock looked out to a stunning view of the Indian Ocean. Apparently they were inspired by the mud huts built in surrounding villages, giving them a uniquely African feel. I certainly didn't feel like I was in Africa though!
Not long after checking in I was in the crystal-clear water. You could see straight down to the bottom! The water for refreshing--not freezing! Forget Hawaii...my new beach destination of choice is in Tanzania! Here's the beach around sunset time, just as we were sitting down to dinner. (I didn't even edit this picture...)
The Swahili word for relax is poa, and that is just what I did on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. More pictures that will probably make you more jealous are here.

No comments: