Tuesday, June 10

I've gotten requests for pictures so I thought maybe a few pictures of the walk to the lab might suffice (for now at least).
The hostel. Looks very much like a compound from the outside but this is about as busy as it ever gets. I've been there for almost 10 days now and aside from the askari (guard) or an attendant during the day I haven't heard or seen anyone. Yes, I am totally spoiled with satellite television. Nope, its not digital. No, I definitely don't get HBO. In fact, I get mostly music stations that switch between AfroBeats and half-naked Americans. It also gets plenty of channels in Chinese, Japanese, and my current favorite Capital Television. It is in English and seems to conveniently loose sound when characters swear and always cuts to commercial when characters are about to kiss. Off to the side are the laundry facilities: a hose and a line for drying. Laundry is this coming weekend's project.

The driveway up to the hostel. Lots of banana trees and corn, very few cars. You can see that the dirt is really deep red and it's pretty moist. It's pretty killer at night sans flashlight. Luckily my cell phone has a built-in flashlight. So key.

Pita kulia (Keep right!). They've been digging ditches all over campus but I haven't quite figured out why yet. Whatever. This is the bottom of the hill, to the right is an ATM (not very scenic) and you can faintly see the stand where the taxis and the dalla dallas pick you up. Mountains in the background, not half bad.

Main administration building. Tanzanians don't really have any real rules other than don't run people over but seem to follow the British system of driving, at least the steering wheel is always on the right.


Here we are! The building closest is the Genome Science Center and the building behind it is a lecture hall. Air conditioning and Internet. Did I mention the mountains? Could they be more gorgeous please?

No comments: