Saturday, June 7

Rainy Day

Lots of malaria research yesterday, especially on DNA microarrays, a way of analyzing gene expression within a single sample or to compare gene expression in two different cell types, such as healthy and infected. They look at the expression of hundreds or thousands of genes at once, a hot area of research and tool for identifying new vaccine candidates. Pretty cool stuff!

All the wamzungu from the lab left for the weekend, which hopefully will force me to go into town by myself. I asked for a cab in Kiswahili all by myself yesterday and negotiated the price. We ended up picking a Professor from another taxi that broke down and he insisted on paying for me. There are two common reactions to mzungus in town: (1) the curious stare down or (2) the "MZUNGU MZUNGU!!! Hello! MAMBO!" Now that I've got some of the basic greetings down I can respond to those that try to talk to me and politely greet the ones that suspiciously eye me. Yesterday, while in town, I had my first interaction with drunk Tanzania men. As I walked by one started yelling MZUNGU MZUNGU! and once the other realized what he was saying he ran over to me and started speaking some indecipherable form of Engliswahili. Totally overwhelming, he tried to hug me. My reaction was where is your phone and your money but they guy was too drunk to even walk, let alone grab the TSh 10,000 I had on me. Reminder: Stay on the main roads, away from the bars. I was very impressed by my ability to take a dala dala back to campus safely (read: crammed up against the door with my arm out the front window, holding on for dear life).

I found a shortcut to the only restaurant I've eaten at (SUASA Club) and myself got eaten alive by mosquitoes while I had my usual vegetable curry and rice with an orange Fanta. I promise to try the grilled chicken before I leave but for now I'm satisfied with baby steps and vegetable curry. I'm getting much better at eating alone and even brought my book with me.

To avoid the downpour that was this morning, I did some reading at the hostel and walked down to the lab once the rain had stopped (sort of). I worked for a good amount of time before, surprise surprise, the power went out at the lab. It has to go out at least once a day or it wouldn't be Tanzania...

No comments: