Friday, May 30

The Journey Begins

My internet browser is completely in Arabic so it'll be a miracle if this actually works. I'm currently in Dubai International Airport after a twelve hour Emirates flight from JFK. The flight was spectacular with the exception of the baby two rows back that insisted on crying for all but two hours and my uncontrollable allergies. I think I watched five different movies. (P-Man, they had Horton Hears a Who!!!) My first single serving friend was a Catholic nun from Tanzania who went to high school in Morogoro on her way back to Dar es Salaam for a two month holiday. Many more to come, I'm sure.

Dubai (at least the airport) is impressive. You enter into a hall of overwhelming opulence and Duty Free shops with more stuff to buy than you might find in the average strip mall. The travelers range from scantly clad Italians to women with head scarves and nothing but their eyes showing. Once you get upstairs the people sleeping on the floor in more modest apparel start to appear.

Apparently, AT&T doesn't have coverage in Tanzania so I'll be on the search for a cell phone promptly after arrival. If that fails, Skype and email will be the best way to reach me. Update to follow once I arrive in Tanzania.

No comments: